Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Where is John Galt? #1

For those of you familiar with Ayn Rand and Atlas Shrugged, you will know what I'm talking about. For the rest of you; for God's sake, read the book. I'm happy to say sales have skyrocketed lately, so the kid at the local bookstore chain might actually know what you're asking for. This book made a huge impact on me when I read it in college. I am confident in saying it changed my worldview, opened my eyes, and gave me the strength to fight for the ideas this country was formed around, rather than accept the country it has become. Fifty and some odd years after its first publication, Atlas is true now more than ever. It was the fertilizer my young mind needed to grow into the well-informed and self-motivated person that I am today. Looking back, it helped me develop a strong personal philosophy and standard of value that has led me to be a political artist and activist. Some would agree, sarcastically, that it is indeed fertilizer. I think my favorite criticism of Ms. Rand's work and philosophy came from someone who said, her books are just written for young angst-ridden girls who have no concept of self. The small-mindedness of people will never cease to amaze me.

This drawing is the second in a series of Americana images I am working on....

The entire article is available at Modern Conservative

No comments: