Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Federal Government should institute this system on a national level

I just read a good article addressing the issue of welfare abuse. Because I have long felt this is an important issue that needs to be addressed, I have decided to post a link to the article with my response.
Too many people are afraid to say that a person should work for a living instead of turning to the government for a handout. Too many people think the rich owe them something or have cheated them in some way. I understand that bad things happen and people run on hard times. I grew up poor and still remember how it feels. I'm better off now than I was as a child, but I intend to do the best that I can for myself and my family.
The thought of accepting what the government would give me rather than work hard is absurd. Also, the government is the last place someone should go for help.Family, charities, and churches should be the first step. You should know the person who is helping you and appreciate their willingness to help you. Taking money from a vague entity like the government, which takes that money from someone else, is stealing. The person who earned that money has no idea how it is spent.They are not given the courtesy of deciding if you merit the help.
Link: National Summary Article Verifying need when dispensing welfare
My Response: I just wanted to congratulate you for having the nerve to address this issue, particularly in a time when it is in vogue to be a ward of the government. I have long wondered why the government makes it so easy to get a check and literally pays people to stay home and have children. The answer, of course, is buying votes. I find it sad that people would rather accept what they are given by the government than work for what they could have. That is no quality of life by my standards. As a Libertarian political artist (www.machinepolitick.com), I know how hard it is to stand up to the accepted ideas of your peers. Good luck and good work. The article was very well written and stands as a great example of a very important issue.

No comments: