Saturday, May 9, 2009

A little constructive criticism for President Obama

One day I will find the time to get my new computer organized. It seemed such a simple thing. You buy a computer, you set it up and transfer files, then you get to work. It's more efficient and you find yourself enjoying sitting down to work. If you're like me that's true. Then you discover how disorganized you were for lack of time on the old machine. Duplicate files, email addresses from god knows who, in no particular order and files you haven't opened in years, not to mention the inability to find things in all the clutter. And to think I was under the impression I'm organized. I guess I should be glad I'm busy enough for it to be a problem.
So, on to the point of this post. I found my tax day letter to Obama, so as promised, I am posting it. A couple of weeks ago, I posted a similar letter to my Congressmen. Hopefully, someone is listening.

President Obama,

I am writing you this letter in the hope that you will give me a few minutes of your time to understand my point of view. When you ran for President, you promised hope and change. You said that you wanted to know what each and every American had to say about the state of our country and our expectations of our government. That is the point of my letter, and I hope you will accept it in the spirit in which it is written.
I know you must be proud, after all, you have made history. I congratulate you on your marketing team and your ability to convince the American people that you will do the job well. Unfortunately, you are proving yourself to be just another status quo politician. You talk about the failed policies of the Bush administration, while escalating the massive spending and regulation that defined your predecessor.
Because I know you are a busy man, I will not burden you with criticism and diatribe. I will simply give you some suggestions to do with as you will.

1. I suggest you read Atlas Shrugged. I am sure you're sick of hearing about it, so in the interest of brevity, I am including copies of the more important pages from my own edition of the book. Ms. Rand left Communist Russia because of the tyranny and poverty imposed on the people by her government. She saw first-hand what an over-bearing government does to its people.

2. Please take the time to read some history. This will back up the points made in Ms. Rand's book. Collectivism does not work, and you cannot make it work. It sounds great as a sound bite to say you want to 'spread the wealth around', but what gives you that right? Are you going to spread your own wealth around in the interest of fairness? I find it very disconcerting that my President is willing to hurt the economy in the name of fairness. I'm quoting you from the campaign, by the way.

3. Making everyone equal only brings people down. Who do you expect to keep the country going when we are all equally poor? You can print money all day, but we all know that makes things worse. The only way government has to generate income is through taxes. You can talk about the evil rich all day, but it is everyone who will bear the burden of paying for the bailouts that just passed. And you continue to call for more.

America is a great country, and I would like it to stay that way. You were elected to do a job, not enforce your personal ideology. I hope you will take a moment to evaluate your actions and the consequences they have for the rest of us. I would also like to suggest that you stop fear mongering every time you speak. Please consider putting forth some real solutions that will instill the American people and the world with the confidence we need to move forward in a positive direction.
My suggestion to you is that we need less government, not more. Less regulation, not more. America was founded on the principles of individual liberty and freedom. It is time to reacquaint ourselves with the concept. The Fair Tax would be a good place to start. My second suggestion stems from another of your campaign promises: eliminate all inefficient and unnecessary government programs and departments.
Thank you for your time and consideration, Mr. Obama. I hope that you will not simply disregard my letter because you don't like what I have to say. Whether you agree with me or not, I have a right to my opinion. I respect you as the President of the United States, for better or worse. I hope you will extend me the same respect as a citizen under your governance. We both have a huge responsibility as Americans. I hope you prove yourself worthy of that distinction.
Sincerely,
Frances
frances@machinepolitick.com
www.machinepolitick.com

No comments: