Monday, May 25, 2009

Integrity

"Integrity can neither be lost nor concealed nor faked nor quenched nor artificially come by nor outlived, nor, I believe in the long run, denied." Eudora Welty

A good friend of mine sent me this quote one day as a compliment. I'm not sure if I always live up to it, but I do the best I can. This is a difficult path I've chosen, although I wouldn't have it any other way. I work very hard, and it helps to know that someone has so much faith in my efforts and abilities.I am not just an artist, although that can be difficult enough. I am a political artist, which sometimes makes people uncomfortable or angry. I am also a Conservative, which is a very unpopular viewpoint in the art community. That is why I have teamed up with Modern Conservative to start the Declarationist Art Movement and Liberatchik. We want to create a place where artists, like myself, from all genres can come together for support and encouragement. We are creating a place where we can be recognized for our talents, but more importantly, supported in our ideals. All of this is being done with the goal of creating a larger community, awareness by the average American, and eventually patronage by those who are willing and able to help us in our endeavors. I look forward to the day when artists can express their thoughts through their talents - openly, and uncensored.
Meanwhile, I am a mom and wife. I struggle to balance my passion for my art and politics with my love for my family. My days can be long sometimes, and I often want to take a break. Sometimes, I don't feel like staying up late to write. I just want to paint, or sleep, or play with my son. A year ago, I wouldn't have thought I'd be blogging regularly. It's time consuming, requires me to be on the computer instead of painting, and I didn't consider myself to be a writer. Then Christopher approached me with this project, and within 6 months, we've launched it. Currently, I'm working on a guidebook and planning to set aside time to start approaching other artists.This project isn't just about me or Christopher. Yes, I want to make a living from my work. I can't continue to work on this project or stay home to paint without money. However, I know from experience how hard it is to get started as an artist. I hope I can help and inspire other artists out there to get involved and be active politically as well as artistically. I genuinely believe that the future of our country is being shaped by media, culture and the arts. Marketing is everywhere and influences everything we do on a subconscious level. If we are to combat the Liberal stranglehold on entertainment and our culture, we have to fight back on a creative level.
I know from speaking to people that they want to be entertained by something meaningful. They want art that they like because they agree with it, not because it's the latest trend. They want to see movies that don't stereotype them as evil, listen to music that doesn't berate them, and see to a comedian who isn't insulting and demeaning them. We can give it to them. It takes the simple qualities of strength and integrity to take the first step in that direction. Stand tall, make a statement, back it up with facts, and have the strength to stand firm. One step at a time; we can do this.
If you are an artist, who shares our views, get in touch with me. You can participate openly, or not. Just knowing you are there is encouraging. If you know someone in the arts who qualifies, send them the link. We'd love to see their work and get in touch with them. If you know people who collect art, and share our views, let them know we are here. Word of mouth is one of our biggest tools. Once we have the support, we can start organizing shows and raising awareness on a grand scale. In the meantime, I am working with my friend Alvaro to put on a show. I'll keep you updated as we get closer to achieving that goal. Thanks to all of you who are showing your support for us before we are 'cool'. We greatly appreciate it.

This article is cross posted at Liberatchik.

No comments: